I have been on a Hillsong kick lately, majorly. So much so, that even Spotify has emailed me on behalf on Hillsong thanking me for listening to them and suggesting I take the time to enjoy their new album.
I had another idea for a music Wednesday this week (and last week since I missed – oops), but I’ve been enjoying Hillsong so much, I decided I simply couldn’t pass this opportunity up.
Hillsong makes some of the best contemporary worship music, in my opinion. Lots of which was produced before “Oceans” became the tear-jerking hit that it is.
So I’m going to do a list (of course) of my top five Hillsong songs. Enjoy!
5. You Hold Me Now. In the months before I moved to Hillsboro, I would go to church with my friends at North Orange Baptist Church on Wednesday night. There the praise band would always sing this song. I’m not sure what there was about it, but it was a beautiful reminder that no matter what was going on in my life, God was with me and nothing took Him by surprise.
4. The Stand. I’m not really sure if there’s a reason I love this song so much other than the fact it’s amazing. I just feel like it really exemplifies what it means to fall before God and give everything to Him. There is beauty in singing about salvation throughout this song.
3. Oceans. Face it, you knew it was coming. This is undoubtedly one of the greatest songs Hillsong has ever written. I had it on replay a couple years ago, and still do. It’s one of those songs where the beginning music alone brings you chills, while the lyrics flat out bring you to tears. One of my first Sunday’s (if not my first Sunday) at Columbus Avenue Baptist, we sang this song. I was unbelievably emotional. Not only did God use the people of CABC to speak to me in so many different ways, but He used the music too. My faith has been pushed to its limits multiple times (how else would I grow), and even though God has led me through deep waters I never thought I would experience, I am thankful I have. This song perfectly shows the beauty of placing our trust in Christ, taking those leaps of faith where you don’t know what will happen or how things will turn out, but you know you’re not alone.
2. Lead Me to the Cross. Another one of those songs, like The Stand, that reminds us of the beauty of salvation. There are those times I get caught up in the hustle and bustle of life, I take a step back and remind myself to look at the bigger picture. That’s usually when I land on this song. I walk myself step-by-step through the lyrics that Christ went through the same temptations I did and still He was able to find peace in his Father. I come close to the heart of my Father, and remember my worth was decided on the cross. In those moments where I feel I have nothing, I remember to whom I belong.
1. Hosanna. This is my all-time favorite song by Hillsong. Ever. I once had someone tell me they would sing this song every Sunday at chapel in bootcamp and it just broke them down so much. I can definitely see why, considering this song breaks me down a normal day alone. But seriously, as the title states, this song is about glory of Christ and all the praise He deserves. But this song also inspires me. I think this song evokes such emotion because I use it to pray God would show me how to love like Christ, how He’s loved me. It makes me want to grow closer in my relationship my Father, to fall before His throne with everything I am, and to make Him famous, truly praising Hosanna in the highest. No matter how you slice it, it’s an amazing song.
So there you have it friends! Those are my top five favorite’s by Hillsong. If you have more, feel free to share! As I said, they are an awesome praise and worship band. Have a fantastic Wednesday and rest of the week!
One last thing, I ask that we would all simply take the time to pray for our world. The United States, France, Japan, Syria, and everywhere else. We are world that is hurting, but we have a healer. Prayer is not a last resort but instead direct communication with our Father and Creator, and we should use it continually.